Saturday, September 5, 2015

Runner's Best Friend: Muscle Mauler Foam Roller

I didn't run while I was abroad for a month on a business trip and didn't have chance and time to run there. I was pretty eager to get back to running when I came back. So as a result I overdid it and my left hip started hurting after each run.

I guess it shows that I still need to work on my running technique. And also need to not skip warming up before the run and stretching after (the time is tight in the mornings sometimes so I was allowing myself to neglect these from time to time).

For professional help, I am seeing both a massage therapist and a chiropractor. So my hip has been improving and I am back to running on somewhat smaller pace and timing, but I am happy to run again.

Interesting enough at very beginning of massage sessions my therapist suggested me to add a foam roller to my daily routine.


Muscle Mauler MAX Foam Roller

So after a short research I've got a Muscle Mauler MAX from Amazon, got it in my mail 2 days later and didn't regret that purchase ever since.

My Muscle Mauler Roller came with a photo instructions on how to get rolling (and it is pretty easy to follow them).

Few days after I was also contacted via email by Dre Amos, Co-Founder and Master Trainer at Master of Muscle. He reached out to me for a feedback on the product, offered an assistance if I needed some and let me know that my purchase also included a free e-book with a bit more detailed instructions (which are always nice to have :) ).

By the way, according to Amazon Muscle Mauler Foam Roller comes in 2 versions:

I use my foam roller before and after runs (time permitting). I will also do it occasionally when I feel like it, works perfectly along watching a TV show or a movie. I like multitasking :)

I only have experienced Muscle Mauler Foam Roller, but there are other types of foam rollers available on the market. They all differ in softness, size, length, surface configuration, material, etc. I like mine, but you can try couple of them and see which works better for you.


What Does Muscle Mauler Foam Roller Do?

I will be quoting and paraphrasing the e-book I've received with my purchase a bit here to provide some insides.

Basically, Muscle Mauler Foam Roller provides a way administer yourself a lighter (comparing to the professional) version of Trigger Point Massage, also known as Myofascial Release.

Through the overstress of muscles, whether through overuse or trauma, body layers of fascia can get tears in them. When the tears don’t heal properly, the various layers of fascia in the body can adhere together in spots (called adhesions), which will cause pain and discomfort.

By putting a pressure on fascia layers adhesions, they get released, also releasing toxins that have built up in the body’s fascia on the way. This is what foam roller does.

In addition to releasing these adhesions, Trigger Point Massage Rolling also has some general benefits for our bodies:

  • Aids in preventing injuries
  • Gets rid of knots and tightness in the muscles
  • Physically de-stresses the body so it can work more efficiently
  • Increases flexibility
  • Increases blood flow and circulation

Muscle Mauler Foam Roller has been specifically designed with Dual Targeted Pressure Zones to ensure the right level of release.

  • The Raised Pressure Zones - act like the finger tips and target specific “Hot Spots” in the Body.
  • The Broad Pressure Zones - act like the palm of the hand and target larger muscle zones in the body.
Also by using your own bodyweight, you can increase or decrease the intensity of rolling each body part.


Disclaimer

As with any piece of equipment, it is better to get help from a trained professional to get started working with it and make sure you do it right. You should also consult your physician prior to starting a foam roller or any other program, or if you have any medical condition or injury that can possibly worsen with physical activity.


Foam Roller: Alternative Uses :)

Not that foam rollers were invented for this, I guess this is one of the benefit of owning one along with cats :).

So, my roller is hollow in the middle and Stalone, my maine coon cat, loves to stick his toys in it, especially ones which make some noise, and then runs from one side to another trying to catch them from one side or another. This looks pretty entertaining and funny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment